The Université de Montréal is a French-language institution. This English website contains only the most frequently consulted pages from our French website.
MA in Philosophy
The MA in Philosophy program has 4 objectives:
- Building on certain concepts learned at the undergraduate level.
- Mastering specific skills relating to a given question.
- Acquiring a solid grounding enabling the student to teach philosophy at the college level.
- Preparing for doctoral studies.
The MA in Philosophy program at UdeM has 2 options. Each one consists of 12 to 15 credits from a choice of over 40 graduate courses, in addition to seminars and internships.
Offers the possibility of writing a short (50 page) or long (80 page) thesis, combined with courses and directed readings.
Teaching philosophy at the college level option
Consists of a thesis worth 24 credits, along with 6 credits for internships (in French) relating to teaching philosophy in Quebec colleges. A course on the pedagogical approach for post-secondary teaching is also included.
Questions about this program?
- All about this program (in French)
- Financial support
- Find a thesis supervisor
- International (in French)
- Job outlook for graduates in this discipline
The + of studying philosophy at the Université de Montréal!
- Lectures, roundtable discussions, seminars and informal meetings for philosophical discussions.
- Optional courses that bring together philosophy and literature, psychology, history, art, physics and mathematics.
- Possible scholarships.
- Expertise in philosophy unique to UdeM, thanks to our Centre de recherche en éthique (in French) and our links with numerous research groups.
- A faculty with a variety of research interests.
- Ithaque, the philosophy journal, which publishes papers written by students at all levels.